Thursday 28 January 2010

What's it all about then?

"It's Father Christmas!"

The delighted squeal of a 7 year old boy greeted me as the door was opened. His mum practically burst into tears.

"Merry Christmas" I replied with a smile as I handed over a Hope Foundation Christmas Hamper to mum and a bag with a wrapped present to the little boy.

They stood at the door watching me as I made my way back to the car. Father Christmas I hurrumphed to myself: so yes I was overweight and yes I was wearing my thick red coat and OK it was snowing but...

This picture was pretty much repeated 350 times in the London Borough of Bromley in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas as an army of volunteers packed and delivered Hampers and brand new gifts to the borough's neediest people in an effort to make a real difference in our community aiming to make their Christmas a happy one.

Hope Foundation's aim is to provide valuable services to our community in new and innovative ways, to improve the quality of life for people from all areas of society throughout the London Borough of Bromley.

Hope work with Bromley Community Drugs Project, Bromley Womens Aid, St Christophers Hospice and Harris Hospice Care, Gordon House Association, Youth Offenders Team, Bromley, Gypsy Travellers Project, Orpington, Children in Need and Affinity Sutton but to name a few!

I guess I have decided to do the London Triathlon because I can't live in apathy anymore. Having handed out a number of Hampers this Christmas I realised that no matter how rough I may feel I have it sometimes I really shouldn't complain.

I saw those affected by domestic violence, children with no families to support them, those with disabilities who have been caught in beurocratic blunders - real need in what is meant to be one of the richest boroughs of London!

So the question is "Will you help?" I am not after you running the triathlon (though you can join me if you want), nor am I asking you to pack and deliver hampers (though again you can donate time if you wish).

However, would you consider sponsoring my triathon? The cost of a hamper is £50. An emergency bag of food is £20-£25. Would you give that? If every one I knew would give just £10 and ask their friends to do the same: What difference could we make across the whole of the Borough of Bromley?

Thanks for reading this. Feel free to subscribe by RSS and recieve my training news and updates from Hope Foundation. If you would like more information on the work of Hope Foundation you can find them on the web here.

Speak to you soon and thanks for your support,

Roarke.

feel free to pass on your comments I would like to talk with you not at you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello all

Just thought you guys might like this Global Fitness chats also:
http://www.globalfitnesstrainers.com/forums/

A fitness community were you can talk about anything about fitness, fitness trainers, personal training,body building and weight loss.

Just wanted to share.. All the best!